Informal Letters Format and Sample: Informal letter writing is a type of letter writing only. And it comes in the examination too. Many students are often confused between formal letters and informal letters. In this article, we will discuss the format of the informal letter and will see a few examples to better understand the informal letters format and sample.
What is an Informal Letter?
Letters which we write to our close family members, relatives and friends are called informal letters or personal letters. These are basically written in a casual and more of a persona tone. We can convey any personal message through them to any of our close family members or friend.
Format of an Informal Letter
The format of an informal letter is different from a formal letter. The basic plan of an informal letter includes:
- Senders Address
- Salutation or Greetings
- Body of the letter
Let’s discuss each of them in detail:
- Sender Address: First of all we start the letter with the address of the sender. Earlier when block format was used everything was written in the right-hand corner but now everything did not follow so everything is written in the left-hand corner. You include all the details like the name of the house or apartment, number if any, street, locality, area, city, state and pin code. The following example will help you out.
- 32 B 160/7 Old House,
- Royal Garden Area,
- Mumbai Maharashtra,
- Date: The date is mentioned after writing the sender’s address and a specific format has to be followed. The date should be mentioned and it is compulsory to mention it. The format for writing the date is as follows:
- April 4, 2023
- 20th December 2022
- Salutation: Whenever a letter is to be started you have to keep in mind writing a salutation. In the informal letter, you can greet the person to whom you are writing the particular letter in these ways:
- Dear Aunty/Uncle/Father/Mother/Brother/Sister if they are elder than you.
- Dear ( Name of person to whom you are writing the letter) like Dear Shreya if the person to whom you are writing the letter is younger than you or of your age only.
- Body of the letter: Informal letters generally start by asking how the person to whom the letter is addressed is. The opening tone should be casual and personal. Latter on as we move you can write the reason why you are writing this particular letter. Use words wisely depending to whom you are writing the letter to. If you are writing a letter to someone elder then be respectful and show courtesy. Be careful with your choice of words and don’t be rude in place of being friendly. You can start the letter like I hope you are doing great and I wish this letter finds you in good wealth.
- Conclusion: End your informal letter in such a way that it sounds very positive. It should appear that the recipient of the letter and the sender just have a healthy conversation among them. Tell them you will meet them soon or will write again.
- Signature or Subscription: Informal letters are closed by using words like Yours lovingly, Yours affectionately, Your loving friend Your true friend, etc. After this, your name is to be followed. But remember you have to sign off the letter by only using your First name and not the full name like in formal letters where the full name is used. For example-
- Your true friend
Sample of an Informal Letter
Here is a sample for you to better understand the format of an Informal Letter:
Example 1 A letter to a friend describing to him all about the latest vacation you took.
25th April 2023
I hope this letter finds you in good health. How are you? I hope you are doing great there in Shimla. I am writing this letter to tell you about my trip to Jaipur. I know you were waiting for me to return from the trip first to listen to my experience.
Jaipur is a very vibrant city. There are so many palaces in the city that one usually gets lost in the rich culture and heritage of the city. I was so excited from the day we reached there. First, we went to some palaces and forts. The fort was magnificent and its beauty took away my breath. How wonderful and adventurous life the kings must have lived. The next day we went to cover the local market and haat festival.
The city is so colourful that even a rainbow fades away in its presence. We bought so many things like crafts, pots, jewellery, clothes and many more. I have brought a few gifts for you also and I’m so excited to give them to you when we meet this month. Rest I will tell you about my journey when we meet
I hope you are doing great and hope to meet you soon this month. Please send my regards to your father and mother. Waiting for your reply.
Your loving friend,
Example 2 A letter to a friend congratulating him for his success in the exam.
25th April 2023
How are you doing friend? How are uncle and aunty doing? I recently heard about your success in your examination in which you scored such a good rank. Congratulations friend on your success. I can not even tell you how happy I am. You made us proud. I wish you all the very best of luck for your future. You were doing such great hard work and now finally your hard work has paid off.
I wish all the success in life to you. Keep up the hard work. Give my regards to your father and mother. I will meet you soon. Take care till then.
Your true friend,
So we have provided the format of an informal letter to you hope this will help you!