GeM Portal 2023: Indian Government’s shift towards digitalization and encouraging maximum use of technology has opened new doors to development. In the past few years, we can see that India has shown tremendous growth in the implementation of technology in its various fields. The launch of GeM Portal is another milestone in its endeavour of making India a Digital nation.
GeM basically stands for Government e-Market Place. It is an online portal of the Indian Government where common users i.e. buyers and sellers can easily procure goods and services. It is basically a virtual market where the physical presence of users is not required. It is hosted by the Directorate General of Supplies & Goods (DGS&D).
It is a technology-enabled, user-friendly, and dynamic platform for the procurement of products & services by Government Officials. The launch of GeM portal is an important step in transforming the way of Public procurement as it is one of the top priorities of the current Government.
Using this portal, users are various Govt. Ministries, Departments, PSUs, or other autonomous, statuary bodies operating under the Central Govt can procure goods and services with ease through a single window system. It has been introduced to bring consistency and transparency to the govt procurement system.
GeM Portal 2023
Govt. e-Marketplace portal went live for users on 9th August 2016. The portal was rolled out by the Ministry of Commerce and is developed, hosted, and maintained by DGS&D. All the Govt agencies buy or sell both products and services through this portal. National e-Governance Division (Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology- MeiTY) has also extended its technical support to the DGS&D in the development of the portal.
At present, there are nearly 150 product categories under which there is an availability of more than 7400 products. By this time, transactions of more than Rs.140 crores have been made by the users through this portal. Along with the aforementioned products selection of transport services is also available on this portal. Using this innovative portal, the public procurement system has been made fully cashless and cashless to ensure minimum interference of the system-driven e-marketplace.
The Ministry of Finance has made the purchase through this portal which is done by the Govt users. This portal has enhanced the speed, efficiency, efficacy, and transparency of the system of public procurement. The portal includes tools such as demand aggregation, reverse e-auction and e-bidding so that users can get the best value of the amount invested in the purchase of the product.
In this article, you will be getting all the possible information about GeM portals such as the basic details of the portal, advantages, registration process, login process, facilities provided, and related information. So, to get an insight into this portal, you need to read this portal till the end.
GeM Portal at a Glance
|Name of the portal||Government e-Marketplace|
|Concerned Ministry||Ministry of Commerce|
|Developed and hosted by||Directorate General of Supplies & Goods (DGS&D)|
|Date of launch||9th August 2016|
|Potential Users||Buyers, Seller, Government officials|
Salient Features of GeM Portal
Check out the key features of GeM given as under-
- Secure & Safe
Facilities Provided by GeM
GeM is aimed to offer several services related to online public procurement by the Government. Check the services and facilities are offered by the GeM portal to its users-
- This platform provides its users with a virtual marketplace for buying a large number of common items.
- Provide users with a platform whereby they can view, predict, compare and purchase services at flexible prices.
- A dynamic system for providing ratings to the vendors.
- Provide a user-friendly dashboard where users can buy, make payments and monitor all the activities.
- Better return policy
- Online buying of services and goods when required.
- Listing of services and goods, categorisation of goods or services which are of common/ daily use.
- A single platform and one stop for all the orders and demands from the users.
- Better transparency, reliability and ease of buying goods and services.
- Facilitates bulk buying at reasonable prices and low-value buying by using e-bidding or Reverse Auction process.
- Difference Between OBC Creamy and Non-Creamy
- How to Create Resume Online
- Highest Paying Jobs in India
- Check PAN Card Status
- Check Aadhar Card Status
- Work From Home Jobs Without Investment
- Short Term Courses After 12th
- PM Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- Fastag Recharge Online
- Khelo India Registration
Advantages of GeM
GeM has potential benefits for both Buyers and Sellers. These advantages are shared below-
- Facilities transparency in the system and easy buying facility
- Buyers can make payments up to Rs.25000 for a purchase.
- Offers a rich listing of products for the individual categories of goods/services
- Sellers are notified directly
- Provide an integrated payment process
- Availability of price comparison and price trends from numerous suppliers
- A user-friendly dashboard to monitor supplies and transactions
- The maximum
- Ease to use search, select, compare and buy options
- Bidding can be done among a large number of sellers up to 3 lakhs
- For quick redressal of queries, there is a user-friendly dashboard.
- To avail of a service, one can select, multiple consignees
- For Direct Purchase Mode is based on the Pin code
- Users are provided with an option to get numerous consignee quantities and various locations.
- Sellers are notified about the cancellation of consignment/ contract or expiry of delivery period etc.
- Provides buyers with an option to choose their bid duration and it could be from 10 to 12 days.
- There are currently 11 banks which has been enabled with GeM pool account
- Terms and Conditions are added through the ATC library
- L1 purchase of amounts greater than INR 25000 and less than INR 5 Lakhs
Sellers are the backbone of GeM portal. Check how beneficial is this portal for Sellers-
- The first advantage is that sellers get can easily access to the National Level Public Procurement market.
- It provides sellers with a completely contact-less and paperless platform
- Registration is compulsory and free and no registration fee is charged for the sellers.
- There are some special policies and provisions for MSMEs, Start-ups, and Emporium products.
- For a single purchase, the order seller gets multiple invoices.
- Sellers can easily participate in reverse auctions and bids are that organised online.
- A proper online grievance redressal system
- The reason for the rejection of the contract will be shown to all registered sellers
- Sellers get easy access to various Government organisations and their departments.
- Depending on market conditions, sellers can change the Dynamic pricing prices.
- The process of brand application and approval is also there for sellers.
- Sellers from J&K and North East are not required to pay ITR during bid participation.
How to register on GeM?
To avail of services and to begin with purchase & sales activities on the portal one must register on the portal. Registration on GeM is a must for its users. Sellers and Buyers have to register separately on the portal. If you are wondering how to register on Govt e-Marketplace portal then you do not have to worry. Just go through the instructions mentioned below and complete the registration process.
- Visit the official website first.
- Now, on the homepage, click on Sign Up and select Buyer from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Review Terms and Conditions” option.
- Read all the instructions and agree to the conditions.
- Enter your Aadhaar No. and mobile no. Provide the mobile as mentioned in the Aadhaar no.
- Verify the Aadhaar no. by clicking on respective option.
- Enter the OTP and click on verify button.
- A new pop-up option will open. Click on Close button.
- Now, an application form will open.
- Fill the required information in the application form.
- Enter your user id and password which you need to create as your login details.
- After confirmation, your account will be created and registration process will be completed.
For seller registration, the process is quite similar to the process shared above. Check the process in brief shared as under-
- Go to the official portal and select Seller from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Review Terms and Conditions option.
- Read the instructions and agree to the conditions to proceed.
- Now, provide Aadhaar No. and Mobile no.
- Verify the mobile no. and Aadhaar no.
- Once the application form is displayed, you have to fill the details.
- Create user if and password.
- Finally, seller registration will be over. Save the login details for further login.
How to Login on GeM Portal?
Once the registration process is over for both buyers or sellers, they can proceed with the login process. Check the GeM login process shared below-
- Navigate to the official website of GeM.
- Click on Login Button given on the homepage.
- Now, enter GeM Id and captcha code in the space provided.
- Click on “Submit” button.
- Finally, users (buyer/ seller) dashboard will open.
|GeM official portal||https://gem.gov.in/|
|GeM Login||Login Page|
|GeM Buyer Registration Link||Buyer Registration Link|
|GeM Seller Registration Link||Seller Registration Link|
|Pre-requisites for self-registration||Click Here|
For any assistance regarding GeM portal, one can take help from the helpdesk mentioned below-
Toll Free No.- 1800-419-3436, 1800-102-3436
Railway Helpline- 7824074423
GeM (Government e-Marketplace) is an online portal for the procurement of goods and services by government officers.
It was launched 9th August 2016.
The buyers, sellers, and other government officials are the users of this online portal.
Yes, sellers and buyers have to register by clicking on different links provided on the official portal.
Users must have an Aadhaar no. and valid mobile no. for registration.