OBC Non-Creamy Layer VS OBC Creamy Layer | OBC non-creamy layer Income limit: India is a country where people are segregated with different religions and castes. The caste system was very much prevalent during pre-colonial rule. With this Government of India, made two different divisions of OBC category; OBC creamy and non-creamy layer.
Read below, the difference between OBC-NCL and OBC-CL, how to apply for OBC certificate and OBC non-creamy layer eligibility criteria with income limit, a document required and online/offline process.
- 1 What is the Full Form of OBC?
- 2 OBC Non-Creamy Layer
- 3 OBC Creamy Layer
- 4 How to apply for OBC Certificate?
- 5 Documents Required for OBC Certificate
- 6 FAQ’s
What is the Full Form of OBC?
Full form of OBC is Other Backward class. OBC is a term that is used collectively by the government of India to identify or to classify castes which are educationally or socially deprived and disadvantaged. Other Backward class is an official classification done by the government. Other classification consists of Scheduled Casts (SC) and scheduled tribes (ST). Though Schedule class and Schedule tribes too avail the advantages presented to them by the government. Other Backward Class Category is divided into two categories namely creamy layer OBC and non-creamy layer OBC by the government of India.
|Reserved Category||Other Backward Class (OBC)|
|Divisions||Creamy Layer and Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)|
|Reservation Applicable to OBC||27%|
|Concerned Ministry||Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India|
|Commission||National Commission of Backward Classes|
|Central list of OBC (State-wise)||Click Here|
Difference Between OBC-CL and OBC-NCL
|OBC-CL – OBC creamy layer||OBC-NCL – OBC non-creamy layer|
|Income: Above 8 Lakh||Income: Below 8 Lakh|
|Family Income: Above 8 lakh when added together|
(Income from farming not to be included)
|Family Income: Below 8 lakh When total of all family member income|
(Income from any farming sources are not included)
|Treated as equivalent to general category hence get few or no benefit in government scheme and examination.||Get Benefit in government released scheme and competitive examination.|
Review of Gross Annual Income Limit for Creamy Layer- The Central Government is likely to revise the annual income ceiling upwardly for Creamy Layer in OBC category. Any official update regarding the same will be updated soon.
OBC Non-Creamy Layer
If a total family income is less than the 8 lakh per annum limit, the family is considered to be in non-creamy OBC category. That very family will be getting a certificate of OBC non-creamy layer. The person belonging to the non-creamy OBC category will be enjoying all the benefits and will be getting the relaxation of age in competitive exams as well.
If anyone falls under the category of non-creamy OBC category, they will be getting reservations while applying for government jobs or government posts. However, to avail all these benefits, they will have to obtain a certificate that is called an OBC certificate. The certificate is valid in every state of India except for Tamil Nadu. The validity of the certificate is for one year, and it starts from the very day of receiving it.
OBC Non-Creamy Layer Eligibility
Non-creamy layers have certain eligibility criteria to ensure that a right and deserved candidate gets the certificate. Here are some points, which are looked upon while categorizing the people if they fall into the category of OBC non-creamy layer, or not.
- The Applicant must be a citizen of India.
- A OBC certificate must be issued to any of the paternal blood relative.
- He/she should be a permanent resident of their respective state.
- The applicant should not be fall under the category of Creamy layer which was specified by the GOI.
OBC Non-Creamy Layer Income Limit
- INCOME OF PERSON AND FAMILY COMBINED: A person can apply for an OBC certificate only if the annual income of the family is less than rupees eight lakh per annum. If it were more than the given figure, they would not be getting the non-creamy category certificate. (Income from agriculture/farming is not included in this)
- PARENTS EMPLOYED UNDER CENTRAL GOVERNMENT: If a person’s wither of the parents, is a part of central government or is working under Group C and Group D category under the central government, the person is eligible to apply for the non-creamy OBC certificate.
- EMPLOYEE UNDER CENTRAL GOVERNMENT: If a person himself or herself is a part of central government or is working under central government’s group B category, then that very person is eligible to apply for an OBC non-creamy layer certificate. It is to be noted that it is valid only if the person’s parents do not receive any income like that of pensions.
- HUSBAND EMPLOYED UNDER CENTRAL GOVERNMENT: If a women’s husband is employed under the Central Government, then that very woman would be eligible to apply for the certificate provided that her parents do not receive any kind of income.
Application Format for Non-Creamy Layer Certificate as suggested by NCBC- Click Here
OBC Creamy Layer
Other Backward class creamy layer is a category of OBC, people belonging under this are better off or wealthier. They are way better than the other people belonging to the OBC category. The creamy layer OBC are better educated. Creamy layer OBC has annual income of more than 8 lakhs per annum. OBC creamy layer does not get any benefit. They are treated the same way the general category candidates are treated.
Citizens who are not eligible to apply OBC Certificate
- Certain castes that come under BC and MBC.
- Parents employed under Group A services like IPS, IAS, and IFS.
- Parents working under Group B and C of the Central Government and,
- Parents working under Group 1 of the State Government.
- Parents’ income exceeds 8 lakhs, they are not eligible to apply for this certificate.
How to apply for OBC Certificate?
The application for the OBC certificate can be done by both online and offline methods provided person is eligible for the application.
Offline Method to Get OBC Certificate
- For getting the caste certificate or the OBC certificate through offline mode, a person has to visit his or her nearby Tehsil office, SDM office, Revenue office, or SETU/CSC centers.
- The person will be getting an application form for a caste certificate which he or she has to fill with correct details like contact information, address, and other personal details.
- In the section of caste detail, a person has to fill in the caste details of your father. If the father is no more, then, the person will be needing his or her other blood relative caste certificate or documents.
- According to the caste certificate that the person gets, has to tick mark the caste option that the person is applying for.
- If the person has changed the state or has migrated from one state to another, then it must be specified in the form as well.
- A self-declaration part has to be signed and filled.
- Lastly, the person has to paste a passport size photograph and submit the local address and reference for further verification of the process.
- After that, the person has to submit the original application form with self-attested documents in the office.
- The person has to wait for 30 to 35 days for the caste certificate to get.
Online Method to Apply for OBC Certificate
- Only a few states offer the online mode of registration.
- If a person belongs to that state in which online mode is available, he or she can visit state’s backward class welfare portal.
- The person has to click on link which shows “apply for caste certificate online”.
- The person can either create an account in the portal itself or can start filling online application form provided within the site.
- The person then has to fill in his/her details such as contact details, address, personal details, and other required details.
- The verification has to be done by the person of the details he or she has provided so far.
- After having a check on the details, the person can submit the data with the proof of documents as well.
- After submitting, the person will be getting a slip of acknowledgment in addition to the application number.
- The person could print out the slip if he or she wants or can save it offline. The person needs to save the application number so as to keep a check on application status.
- After having the verification done, the person can directly download his or her caste certificate from the link or the portal itself.
- An email or SMS will be generated on the completion of the process.
Documents Required for OBC Certificate
You are required to attach these certificates and documents while applying for the OBC certificate
- Identity proof (Any One)
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID Card
- PAN Card
- Ration Card (with photo)
- Driving License or…
- any other ID issued by the GOI
Note: In Case the beneficiary is minor then the parent’s ID proof is will be required as mentioned above.
- Address proof (Any One)
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID card
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- Rent Agreement
- bank Passbook
- Electricity/ Water/ Phone bill
- Gas bill or any other address proof.
- Other Certificate
- Community certificate.
- School Leaving Certificate.
- Income Certificate.
The lower caste people had to suffer a lot because of these differences the upper-class people created to maintain a hierarchy. Keeping in mind all the sufferings these people have suffered so far was empowered by the Mandal commission. In early 1979, the government of Morarji Desai selected Bindeshwari Prasad Mandal so as to head the Second Backward Class Commission, directing to “identify the socially or educationally backward classes” in India. This commission proposed to give 27% Reservation to the OBC which resulted in 49% job opportunities for them in public universities and public services.
- Difference Between OBC Creamy and Non-Creamy
- How to Create Resume Online
- Highest Paying Jobs in India
- Check PAN Card Status
- Check Aadhar Card Status
- Work From Home Jobs Without Investment
- Short Term Courses After 12th
- PM Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- Fastag Recharge Online
- Khelo India Registration
Schemes and Programs for OBC
Central Government is running various scholarship schemes and welfare programs for OBCs in India. Have a look at some of these schemes-
- Pre-Matric Scholarship to OBC students for studies
- This scholarship is aimed to motivate OBC studying at the pre-matric stage.
- Post Matric Scholarship to OBC students
- In this, financial support is being provided so that they can continue their higher studies and such scholarship being awarded by the State and UT’s government.
- National Fellowship for OBC students
- This scheme will provide financial assistance to candidates shortlsited for it so that they can pursue master level course & Ph.D. courses abroad at the following courses: Engineering, Management, Agricultural Science, and Medicine.
- It is to be noted that only 25 awards every year will be available under the scheme.
- Assistance for Skill Development of OBCs (NGO Scheme)
- In this the civil society and Non- government sector work for the upliftment of the socio-economic condition of OBC’s.
- Free Coaching Scheme
- Dr. Ambedkar Scheme of Interest subsidy on educational loan for overseas studies of OBC students
- In this education, the loan is provided to the students till the duration of the course plus one year or 6 months after getting the job.
National scholarship & Dr. Ambedkar Central Sector scheme
The Eligibility criteria for the scheme is given as: –
- The Awardee should not be more than 35 years of age as of 1st April of the selection year.
- The minimum education qualification required for a master’s degree abroad is that the applicant must have completed his/her graduation securing a minimum of 60% and for a Ph.D. applicant must secure 60% marks in Master’s.
- The total family income of the family should not be more than 8 lakh PA and max. two children of the same parents are eligible for this.
- Dr. Ambedkar Central Scheme is awarded so that students can pursue their master’s, Ph.D., or M.Phil and the income of the family should not exceed the creamy layer limit which is 8 lakh PA.
Using OBC certificate, you can avail the benefit of the aforementioned schemes.
If you have any questions related to OBC non-creamy layer certification, applying, or eligibility then you can ask us in the comment section below. One of our team members will help you in solving the question related to OBC non-creamy layer vs creamy layer topic
Central List for OBC’s
In the table given below you may find the list of OBC category state-wise: –
|Andaman and Nicobar||Click here|
|Andhra Pradesh||Click here|
|Daman and Diu||Click here|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Click here|
|Himachal Pradesh||Click here|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Click here|
|Madhya Pradesh||Click here|
|Tamil Nadu||Click here|
|Uttar Pradesh||Click here|
|West Bengal||Click here|
Testimonials like School Leaving Certificate, Income Certificate, Community Certificate, Ration Card, address proof, Identity proof, etc. In case the applicant is minor then the parent’s Id proof is mandatory.
Yes, if you want to apply online for a caste certificate you can do so by entering “Apply for caste certificate online” in any portal.
OBC NCL total family income must be less than 8 lakh rupees per year.
No, any people having income from agricultural or salary will not be clubbed for creamy layer income limit.
There are number of scholarships are available for OBC students under different categories and some of them are given as: –
Pre matric scholarship (for study in India only)
Post Matric Scholarship
Dr. Ambedkar Pre and Post Matric Scholarship for DNT’s
Dr. Ambedkar Post Matric scholarship for EBCs
National Fellowship scholarship for NF-OBC
Such candidates are eligible for Pre & Post-Matric Scholarship which are given as: –
Pre-Matric: Parents annual income from all sources shouldn’t exceed 44500/-
Post-Matric: this scholarship will be sanctioned to those whose family income should not exceed 1 lakh PA.
If you are looking to apply for such a scholarship then you will get detailed information about this at the Social welfare department of social justice and empowerment.