Gender Discrimination Essay: We continuously deal with so many social issues at this time that it has become necessary to educate students about them so that they can be addressed properly. Students are educated about these issues through plays, acts, or writing about them. Essays play important parts in expressing their thoughts and educating them about these norms. One such social issue is Gender discrimination or gender inequality. Here we have provided a sample of essays on gender discrimination or an essay on gender inequality.
We have provided a sample paragraph on gender discrimination and a long essay on gender inequality or gender discrimination. Hope students will find this useful for their own purpose.
Also Read: Essay on Reading is a Good Habit for Students
Paragraph on Gender Discrimination
If we try to define gender discrimination we can say that gender discrimination is the unequal treatment of individuals on the basis of their gender. The biases between males and females have prevailed in our society for a very long time. Women are subjected to gender inequality or discrimination on the basis of gender for a very long time. Gender discrimination has become one of the major social issues to deal with in our society. Women are subjected to gender discrimination in various aspects of life like work, household, education, and other areas.
The roots of gender discrimination come from the long history of mankind. Lack of education act as fuel to this cause. Women were subjected to this practice in a male-dominated patriarchal society because they were considered physically weak and unintelligent when compared to men. They were considered breeding objects whose only aim in life was to take care of a feeling. But now times are changing many organizations along with the government are working together to improve the state of women. Equal representation of women can also be seen in many areas. And with proper education, we can remove this social issue.
Essay on Gender Inequality or Discrimination (500 words)
This essay will examine the various forms of gender discrimination, their effects on women and society, and the steps that can be taken to address this issue.
Gender discrimination is a major social issue that has been prevalent throughout history. Discrimination based on a particular gender is treated as gender discrimination. History is witness that women have been the target of this social norm from time immemorial.
Women have long been subjected to discrimination in various aspects of life, including education, employment, politics, and other areas. Gender discrimination starts at a very early age and from home only. Boys and girls are discriminated on various aspects.
It disturbs the equilibrium in society and is also a violation of the civil rights of an individual. It can take many forms like harassment, domestic violence, and abortion of selective gender.
Also Check: Essay on Discipline for Students
Forms of Gender Discrimination:
Gender discrimination can take place anywhere starting from home only. Workplace, politics, and employment are other areas where gender inequality is seen. It can have various forms, including but not limited to:
- Workplace Discrimination: In the workplace, it is seen that women are paid less for the same job profile. They are also denied opportunities and promotions. Women are often subjected to hostile remarks and are not given equal opportunities in the workplace.
- Education Discrimination: This condition is severe in many countries example India where girls are denied access to education or the best quality of education if compared to their counterparts. Often girls are prohibited from taking part in technical or mechanical fields or where physical strength is required.
- Social Discrimination: Women may be discriminated against in social situations, such as being excluded from certain activities or being subjected to negative stereotypes.
Effects of Gender Inequality:
The effects of gender discrimination are far-reaching. It can affect the individual who is being subjected to discrimination and can prove harmful to society. It can also be detrimental to women’s health, well-being, and overall quality of life. Some of the effects of gender discrimination include:
- Limited Access to Opportunities: Discrimination can limit women’s access to opportunities. They are not given equal opportunities in the field such as education, employment, and political participation.
- Economic Disadvantage: It can create an imbalance in society and can also prove as a major reason for the underdevelopment of the country. Women may be paid less than men for doing the same job, which can lead to economic disadvantages and financial insecurity.
- Health Issues: Discrimination can lead to mental as well as physical health. It can impact the access of the particular gender to the healthcare system. It can also lead to stress, anxiety, and depression. This all can have a negative impact on women’s health.
- Violence and Harassment: Women may be subjected to violence and harassment as a result of discrimination. They suffer from domestic violence and harassment including sexual harassment and gender-selective abortion. This can have lasting physical and psychological effects.
Also Read: Essay on My Family for Students
Steps to Address the problem:
Addressing gender discrimination requires a concerted effort from individuals, organizations, and governments. Gender Equality can’t be achieved alone. Some of the steps that can be taken to address gender discrimination include:
- Education and Awareness: The foremost step to address the problem is to raise awareness and educate the individual from the very start. It should start from home and in schools where girls should be treated equally to boys with respect to everything. This will change the attitude and behavior toward women in many ways.
- Legal Reforms: Government should make laws and policies to protect the right of women so that they cannot be the subject of gender discrimination. This can also include that the culprit should be punished.
- Workplace Reforms: Employers should be encouraged to provide equal opportunities and fair pay to women. Proper ethics should be followed in the workspace and a culture should be created that is inclusive and respectful of all genders.
- Empowerment of Women: Women should be empowered to assert their rights and demand equal treatment. The status of women should be raised in all aspects of life and they should be given access to education, healthcare, and economic opportunities.
Conclusion of Essay on Gender Inequality or Gender Discrimination
Gender discrimination is a pervasive social issue that continues to affect women’s lives in many ways. For the whole society and world to progress gender discrimination should be removed gradually. Gender discrimination is not natural but it is human-made, the result of human thinking. Steps should be taken and a multifaceted approach should be taken. By empowering women we can achieve gender equality and an equitable society for all.
Frequently Asked Questions of Essay on Gender Discrimination
Yes, both the terms on a broad basis mean the same. When Discrimination is made on the basis of gender identity or if it is gender-oriented then it is referred to as gender discrimination.
If we try to define gender discrimination we can say that gender discrimination is the unequal treatment of individuals on the basis of their gender. Women are subjected to gender inequality or discrimination on the basis of gender for a very long time. Gender discrimination has become one of the major social issues to deal with in our society.
The major way to eradicate the problem from its roots is through education. Individuals should be educated and taught that no discrimination should be taken on the basis of gender orientation. Second by empowering women and taking some legal and workplace reforms.