Farewell Speech for Teachers: Teachers play a very important role in our lives. Bidding farewell in a professional, or academic workspace can be difficult, especially if we have an emotional connection with the person. When a teacher loves a school, there are a lot of things that follow. The students usually find themselves in utmost sadness because they happen to be the ones that hold the most stake in the dynamic. If your teacher is also leaving the school and you are to articulate your feelings through a speech on the occasion on behalf of the batch or personally, you must read the following article and get guidance on how to structure your speech.
Additionally, a good speech has certain characteristics and it binds the audience. In order to prepare such a speech, you can also allude to the following article and check for quotes or derive ideas from the exemplary speech mentioned subsequently.
Farewell Speech for Teachers in English
It is an occasion of subtle sadness for the students when a teacher has to leave a school for certain reasons. Often, there is a farewell held where the teacher, their contributions, and their journey in the institution are celebrated. The students are mostly asked to deliver a speech on such an occasion. These speeches are semi-formal. They must intend to pick a nerve but also maintain the boundary of being spoken in an academic workspace. As a student, one can have a lot of feelings about the departure. It is important to find the right words and prepare the speech accordingly.
Thus, the students must carefully observe the relationship with the teacher, analyse their importance in the workforce, and their abilities, and speak accordingly. A right speech will sound congratulatory as well as slightly nostalgic.
How to Write Farewell Speech for Teachers?
While writing and structuring the Farewell Speech for Teachers, the speaker must make sure that they follow the subsequent path and pay attention to the details. This can really provide a very perspective to the speech and not only make it good to listen but also improve the deliverance since the speaker will be acquainted with the purpose of delivering the speech in the first place. The following framework must be followed:
- Start by explaining the importance of the assembly and what the occasion is.
- Discuss the teacher and if you happen to know, you can also state the reason for the departure from the institution.
- Speak about the teaching method of the teacher and how it was distinctive from other teachers.
- Mention the contributions of the teacher in the life of their students.
- Explain the changes that the students could witness in their academic approach towards the subject which that particular teacher teaches.
- Talk about the changes that one might notice in the school post-departure.
- Congratulate the teacher on their incredible journey in the present institution.
- Wish them all the best in their future endeavours.
- You can add quotes, proverbs and famous sayings to keep the speech interesting and engaging.
- Avoid any jokes as it shall seem very inappropriate.
- The speech should be of a median length and not be extremely long for the audience to process.
- Address everyone in the room. It should not seem like a one-on-one conversation.
- The body language and expression at the time of speaking must coincide with the emotions that the speech intends.
Quotes for Teachers
Adding quotes and sayings in the speech will make the speech interesting to hear. It will increase the literacy quotient. Additionally, they will help to establish the fact or the idea that is being tried to portray through the speech. It will make your audience believe that effort and research were put into the speech and is well prepared. To sound intelligent and highlight a flair for speeches, you can choose to add any of the following quotes to the speeches:
- If you have to put someone on a pedestal, put teachers. They are society’s heroes. ~ Guy Kawasaki
- It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. ~ Albert Einstein
- A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. ~ Henry B. Adams
- Everyone who remembers his own education remembers teachers, not methods and techniques. The teacher is the heart of the educational system. ~ Sidney Hook
- Education is the key to success in life, and teachers make a lasting impact in the lives of their students. ~ Solomon Ortiz
- The duties of a teacher are neither few nor small, but they elevate the mind and give energy to the character. ~ Dorothea Dix
- I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well. ~ Alexander the Great
- Teachers can change lives with just the right mix of chalk and challenges. ~ Joyce Meyer
- A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instil a love of learning. ~ Brad Henry
- It’s the teacher that makes the difference, not the classroom. ~ Michael Morpurgo
- A teacher’s job is to take a bunch of live wires and see that they are well-grounded. ~ Darwin D. Martin
- The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind. ~ Khalil Gibran
- Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two loves together. ~ Scott Hayden
- Teaching is a calling too. And I’ve always thought that teachers in their way are holy—angels leading their flocks out of the darkness. ~ Jeannette Walls
- One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen. ~ Philip Wylie
Sample Speech in English for Farewell of Teacher
Good Morning/ Afternoon/ Evening to the respected Principal, Teachers, Staff Members, and my dearest friends.
Today, we have specifically assembled here to wish luck and the best of life to one of the most valuable people in this entire school, Mr./ Ms. _____________ (Name of the Teacher). It is a slightly sad occasion to speak about you. I never imagined that I would say this to you, but Best of Luck and a Happy Farewell to you. We meet a lot of people in life but there are only a few that can influence us and live in our heads despite making an exit. You seem to be like one of those people. It is absolutely strange that they have occupied a prominent place in our lives in such a short time. Today happens to be the day of your farewell and just as upset as we look while bidding you goodbye, we are equally happy for the growth and success that we can see coming for you ahead in life.
Physics is a difficult subject to love. It stresses you out and makes you entirely confused about so much that is happening on this planet. These were our thoughts before you entered our lives as Knight in the Shining Armour and simplified the most difficult theories for us. The way you teach is incredibly unique. People often complain about how boring the education system is and what we are being taught is worthless but have made us fall in love with the way the education works here. You are flawless. You have cleared our concepts and prepared a solid foundation for all the physics aspects to build a fort on. Just as the Japanese Proverb goes, “Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher.”
Now, wherever we go, whoever questions us, we will surely be able to answer them. I often read that science is about logic and not cramming up. We used to disagree as a batch of students but I assure you that we condone the statement and stand by it. We have developed an understanding of the subject that shall live with us, lifelong. This is not our academic success but evidence of your teaching abilities and capabilities.
Your presence in school was a positive one. Just seeing you warmed up our hearts. I actually speak on the behalf of each and every student as I proceed to say that your smile used to brighten our day. Lucky were the students who always had the first period of Physics. We are sure that some other teacher will come and replace you. They will have equal diligence and will try to teach us their best. But, you will be missed for your candour and kindness. You have helped us and believed in us. We can swear by all the romanticized notions where teachers hold the ability to change the lives of their students because you have done that to us. You have not only made us better students but also improved us as humans. All we could learn from you was compassion and generosity. You connected with us on an emotional level. How can a person do that with everyone? You are a commendable human being. You treated each of us equally and made sure that there was no partiality or priority. You see the world with a rational perspective and apart from Physics, this happens to be our biggest learning from you.
We shall not be able to see you in the schools from tomorrow. The physics cubicle will miss you and your laughter. Our classes will miss the innovative approach to learning. But, from tomorrow you will have something different to look forward to. There is a very bright future waiting for you and we all wish you the very best for it. You might be leaving this school but not our hearts. You are our mentor, guiding light, and inspiration. Hope you make it to the top of the world. This institution will miss you!