Invitation Letter Format and Sample: An Invitation letter is a kind of letter which is written when we have to invite someone to any event. These are a more formal and more respectful way to invite someone to an event like a party, wedding, meeting, inauguration event of a house or company, annual meet etc. The tone of these letters is formal but also depends on the type of event the invitation is being sent. Using a casual or informal tone should not be used as it is considered rude.
The invitation letter can be divided into two categories- For Formal Events and Informal Events. Formal events include invitations to company meetings or functions while Informal events include weddings or birthdays. So next time if you are inviting someone and have to write an invitation letter follow these steps.
Format of Invitation Letter
The format of a formal Invitation Letter follows the same pattern as that of any formal letter.
- Name and address of the sender – First the name of the sender or company along with its full address and pin code come on the left-hand side of the page.
- Sender Name
- Sender Address
- Date – After this, the date mentioned in the letter is written. The format of the date is
- 23rd January 2023
- January 23rd, 2023
- Receiver’s name and address – After the date, the name of the receiver and full address come along with the pin code. All of it comes on the left side of the page.
- Receiver Name
- Receiver Address
- Subject Line – Write in a line the reason for writing the letter like ‘Letter for invitation for the inauguration ceremony of ABC company.’
- Salutation – Salutation comes after the subject line which is important for any letter. Proper respect and courtesy should be shown to your guests. Use Dear Sir, Dear Madam as a salutation.
- Body of the letter – Start the invitation letter by expressing your happiness in inviting your guest to the function you can start the letter like You are cordially invited to the inauguration event of… After this mention all the necessary details regarding the event like the date on which it is being held, the timings, and the location where the event is going to be held. In the next paragraph mention the motive for holding the event. Persuade them why they have to be in the event. If any special instructions are to be given to the guests mention them after this. Like any specific dress code, bring the invitation card or arrival time. If a schedule is to add then attach it too. Now close the letter saying that you hope to see them at the event. Some events require the final guest number so politely ask in the end whether the guest will be attending the function or not.
- Subscription and Signature – Sign off your letter with a proper subscription like ‘Yours Sincerely and write your full name before closing the letter.
Sample of Invitation Letters
- Example 1 Invitation letter for an annual event of a company.
ABC Private Limited
23rd January 2023
Dr Surya Kumar
160/4 Gulmohar Enclave
Subject: Invitation for the annual event of ABC company.
You and your wife are cordially invited to the annual event of ABC company that is going to be held on the 30th of January, 2023 at Lotus Pearl Hotel, Kedarpuram at 8 pm. We will be honoured to have your presence at the function. The dress code for the function will be black formal.
Please confirm your availability before 26th January 2023 by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can contact us at 9878765434.
We will be delighted to have your presence at the annual event of the company.
- Example 2 Invitation letter for the wedding ceremony.
120/7 Pear Enclave
23rd January 2023
34 Golden Apartments
I am writing this to invite you to the wedding ceremony of my brother on 2nd February 2023 at Pearl Avenue Hotel, Kedarpuram, New Delhi. The function will start at 8 pm.
We would be honoured to have you there and give your blessings to the couple. We will arrange for the transportation if you let us know.
Hope to see you at the ceremony.
Hope to go through the article now you have an idea about how to write an invitation letter and next time if you are writing an invitation letter you can take some help from here.
An invitation letter is a kind of letter which is written when we have to invite someone to any event. These are more formal and more respectful ways to invite someone to an event like a party, wedding, meeting, inauguration event of a house or company, annual meet etc.