Capital Punishment Essay: The Students of higher classes usually are allocated topics that are relevantly mature and considerable to social issues. One such subject is “Capital Punishment“. this theme is variedly open to a lot of perspectives and discussions. Additionally, on a global level, different countries have distinctive views on it. If you are to write an essay on Capital Punishment, there can be various points which can be included and added. Students and Children might be required to do so for myriad reasons, such as, for examinations, essay writing competitions, blogs, newspaper articles, or more.
We will guide you through the process of writing a composition on the topic of the issue of “Capital Punishment”. Read the subsequent article thoroughly to get ideas, points to add, essay examples, format, and more helpful information.
Capital Punishment Essay in English
Before writing an essay, it is important to figure out the type of topic and the format that needs to be followed. The writer must comprehend the topic thoroughly and then analyze its relevance. Post that, once the ideas are structured, they can further proceed to take up the construction of the essay. There is always a purpose for writing an essay and a particular set of readers that it needs to trigger. The writers must realise all this and understand the demand of the topic. This makes it easier to convey the ideas in a very right manner. If an essay is written in the correct format and the right points are added to it, a person who is not essentially equipped with a flair for writing can also compose a striking essay. All you need to focus on the little things and follow the vital steps. A well-versed composition is one which is centred on the promulgation of ideas and not just sounding good.
Capital Punishment Essay Format
An essay on Capital Punishment can be written in either a Descriptive format or an Argumentative one. The former will be more of a neutral kind where the theme needs to be described and the idea has to be explained. In a descriptive essay, the focus is on highlighting both the negative and positive aspects of the subject. The prime focus is being informative and not opinionated on the topic. In the case of Argumentative essays, the writer has the liberty of jotting down their opinions on the subject. They can proceed by choosing a side, either For or Against. They can structure the composition entirely on the basis of their preferences. The essay can seem like a debate and be adamant about the side the writer stands for.
Here, the reader lacks an opportunity to decide an opinion on the theme. They are rather made to learn about only one side of the story. Thus, it is up to the writer what message the essay must convey and they can consider their personal liking for any of the two formats and frame the essay accordingly.
Format of Descriptive Essay
The introduction needs to explain what Capital Punishment is and why or in what cases it is taken into practice. The content must talk about the importance of such measures and the cons of using them. The body of the essay must display a balance between both negative and positive views on the topic, while the neutral opinions must entirely overshadow the two points. The conclusion needs to be a bit strong where you can express the cruciality of being neutral.
The essay can end with a question or such a prompting statement that the readers are forced to think about the topic and after comprehending the topic, understanding the gist, and considering both sides of the story, can form their own perspective.
Format of Argumentative Essay
The writer must introduce the topic in a very crisp manner throwing light on the gist of the topic. Instantly, within the introduction, you have to take a stand For or Against the topic of Capital Punishment. The body of the essay needs to put forward the points depending on the stand that has been taken. The point has to be explained and in order to support the stand, reasons must be provided. An essay needs to be concluded in a manner such that the intent and the perspective of the writer is justified and the readers then get a solo understanding of the one-sided opinions.
However, while writing argumentative essays, one needs to be cautious and avoid adding any negative points to the composition. The reader must not feel uncomfortable or offended by reading any part of the essay.
Points to add to the essay
The following points can be added or considered while writing the essay on the topic of Capital Punishment:
- Capital Punishment is the death penalty. This punishment is very legally provided as per the law of the state or nation.
- Usually, the punishment is given to offenders who happen to commit grave crimes such as Murders, Terrorism, Hijacking, Aggravated Rape cases, treason, genocide, and more.
- The general methods of capital punishment are hanging until the breath is lost, lethal injections, shooting, poisoning, electrocution, and such.
- Most Countries in the World have abolished the practice of the Death Penalty.
- Countries such as India, China, Pakistan, the United States, Egypt, Iran, Japan, and more still practice Capital Punishment for punishing highly dangerous offenders for grave crimes.
- Capital Punishment happens to be a very controversial topic since many arguments for and against have been made in history and are continued being considered even in the present world.
- Religions generally consider Capital Punishment not beneficial as when the body is executed, the soul is unable to enter the reformation cycle.
- Majorly, people believe that Capital Punishment is wrong because no one except God can have the authority to take someone’s life.
- On the grounds of humanity, the arguments have landed against Capital Punishment as it is believed that it is normally incorrect to kill someone in order to deliver justice.
- Additionally, the offenders can be offered counselling along with life imprisonment in order to bear the consequences of their actions.
- As per the makers of the law, certain crimes are so grave that they devoid the criminal of life.
- Certain levels of insanity are beyond reformation. Thus, Capital punishment opts in such cases where the human is highly dangerous and incapable of being counselled.
- Moreover, in many cases, the crime might be so devious that it devoids the criminal from any sympathy or scope of receiving one chance.
- Capital Punishment is illegal if it is not provided under circumstances allowed by the judiciary.
- In India, executions are carried out by hanging the offender.
- The punishment is only provided when the criminal is charged with Treason, Mutiny, Fabrication of evidence in order to save a convict of a capital offence, Presentation of false evidence that results in the death of a person, Murder, Attempted Murder by serving life convict, Kidnapping, Rapes resulting in the death of the victim, Rape causing a vegetative state of the victim, Rape or Gangrape of a child below 12 years, a repeat offender of the crime of Rape, Abetment of the suicide of child or insane person, or Dacoity with murder.
- The President in India holds the power to save someone from Capital Punishment.
Important Tips for Essay writing
While writing the essay, the following points must be considered:
- The paragraphs need to be short.
- Make short sentences so as provide higher readability.
- While writing an essay in English make sure there are lesser grammatical mistakes,
- The writer needs to avoid any such point that leaves the reader offended.
- Lastly, avoid putting non-confirmed facts.
Sample Essay for Capital Punishment
[The following essay is in Descriptive Format.]
Capital Punishment or Death Penalty is the highest level of punishment in the records of lawful conviction of offenders. Generally, the charged and alleged criminals are observed for the offence committed and are punished in a manner such that they have a chance to redeem themselves. The purpose of punishing the offenders is the deliverance of justice while ensuring the convicted person is provided with an opportunity to get better and make the world a better place. However, certain crimes are so grave that they devoid the convict to receive any form of leniency. Thus, the states, government, judiciaries, or any other decision-making authority penalise the criminal with death. Hanging until the breath is lost, lethal injections, shooting, poisoning, and electrocution, are just some ways by which Capital Punishment is given out.
The death penalty is a matter of controversy. It can be believed to be a violation of human rights. Majorly, it is also felt that no one has the right to take anyone’s life. Additionally, the religious section believes that no one other than God has the authority to lead a person to death. On humanitarian grounds, capital punishment is considered very devious. Many sections of society believe that Capital Punishment can be compulsorily avoided and instead the punishments can be different.
However, certain crimes are so grave in the consideration of aw that the criminals do not deserve a chance at life. Such humans can turn into regular offenders and devastate the world causing immense destruction to society. Hence, capital punishment is the only way. Additionally, intentionally devious crimes that cause the loss of innocent life need to be punished accordingly. The law believes in providing a reformation opportunity. But, in certain cases, the insanity level of the convicts is such that Death Penalty seems to be the only way out.
India has a provision for Death Penalty or Capital punishment. There are fixed offences that are considered for such penalties. These are known as capital offences. Capital Punishment is applied when the offender commits Treason, Mutiny, Fabrication of evidence in order to save a convict of a capital offence, Presentation of false evidence that results in the death of a person, Murder, Attempted Murder by serving life convict, Kidnapping, Rapes resulting in the death of the victim, Rape causing a vegetative state of the victim, Rape or Gangrape of a child below 12 years, a repeat offender of the crime of Rape, Abetment of the suicide of child or insane person, or Dacoity with murder. No one except the President of India can reverse the decision of Capital Punishment if taken by the Supreme Court.
On a global level, Capital Punishment is banned by countries like the Netherlands, Australia, Argentina, Kazakhastan, and more. Since many people consider it to be a violation of human rights, these nations have opted for alternatives. Nevertheless, countries such as India, China, Pakistan, the United States, Egypt, Iran, Japan, and more believe that Capital Punishment can be a valid way of preventing crimes and delivering justice, and conviction. It is always a matter of discussion. However, at the end of the day, the prime objective is to make the world a better place while ensuring the deliverance of justice.