National Merit Scholarship 2022: The Department of School Education and Literacy under the Government of India is currently accepting online applications for its National Merit Cum Means Scholarship. The students who are financially underprivileged can apply for this scheme. It promises to provide monetary assistance in order to support the educational dreams of such students. The interested applicants will be awarded on the basis of their academic merit in the specific Competitive Examination. The National Merit Scholarship Scheme registrations will be closed on 15 January 2022 for National Merit Scholarship 2022. Those who wish to apply must know all the details such as Application Procedure, Eligibility, Scholarship Amount and much more. All these details are mentioned in the text given below.
- 1 National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2022
- 2 How to apply online for NMMS Scholarship?
- 3 Important Links and Contacts for National Merit Scholarship
National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2022
The National Merit Scholarship or National Merrit cum Means Scholarship or NMMS is a scheme where the Government Department of School Education and Literacy grants monthly stipends to candidates in order to fulfil their educational expenditures. This program is for students of all categories but only if they satisy the financial demands. The students will be selected on the basis of the merit that will be finalised after the Mental Ability Test or MAT and Scholistic Aptitude Test or SAT. The candidates must apply for the scheme online trough the official website of National Scholarship Portal or NSP. Only the registered and eligible candidates will be allowed to appear for the competitive examinations.
National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2022: Overview
|Name of the Scheme||National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2022|
|Scholarship Name||National Means cum Merit Scholarship|
|Department||Department of School Education and Literacy|
|Authority||Government of India|
|Scholarship Amount||Rs. 12,000 per annum|
|Number of Slots||1,00,000|
|Amount Disbursement Mode||Direct Bank Transfer or DBT|
|Award Basis||Monthly. Hence, Rs. 1,000 every month|
|Aim||To support high school education of Financially weak meritorious students|
|Beneficiaries||Students of Class VII or VIII will be awarded when they will study in high school classes|
|Apoplication Through||National Scholarship Portal or NSP|
|Last date to Apply||15 January 2022|
|Defective and Institute Verification Deadline||15 January 2022|
|Selection Basis||Merit in Examination|
|Examination Levels||MAT and SAT|
|Examination Date||To be Notified|
Scholarship Amount and Slots of National Merit Scholarship
The amount that the Department of School Education and Literacy will award the students who will qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Scheme has been fixed as Rs. 12,000 annually. This sum will be granted to them on a monthly basis. Hence, the students will receive Rs. 1,000 on a monthly basis for four years in order to successfully complete their school education without any financial obstacle.
There will be 1,00,000 scholarship slots that will be awarded. However, this is the total number PAN India. The slots have been allocated to the different states and Union Territories or UTs across various reserved and unreserved categories. The regional distribution depends upon the population ratio while the categorial allotment is dependent upon the norms laid down by the Governement of India.
Eligibility Criteria for National Merit cum Means Scholarship
Only the candidates who will be eligible for the scholarship can apply for it. The eligibility conditions must be observed very carefully since, this scheme is specifically for such students who are meritorious and economically weak. The following is the criteria that has been laid down by the Department of School Education and Literacy:
- The student must be a resident of India.
- The applicant should either be studying in Class VII or VIII in a Government aided school.
- He/She should have scored minimum 55% marks in the previously qualified examination. However, a relaxation of 5% marks will be provided to those belonging to Scheduled Castes or Tribes.
- The total annual income of the parents combined from all scources should not exceed Rs. 1,50,000 from all sources.
Documents for National Merit Scholarship
The following documents need to be uploaded while filling out the application form through the National Scholarship Portal for the NMMS 2022:
- Passport sixed photograph of the Applicant
- Digitally Scanned Signature iof the Candidate
- Aadhaar Card of Applicant to serve as an Identity proof
- To prove the annual income of the family, Income Certificate or any Government recognised Income proof
- Domicile Certificate of the particular region where the applicant is residing
- Marksheet and Result Certificates of Classes VII and VIII
- Ration Card of the family with Candidate’s name on it
- Caste Certificate, only in case of reserved categories
- Certificate of Disability, only if applicable
- Photo of the passbook first page or a Cancelled cheque of the Candidate’s bank account
How to apply online for NMMS Scholarship?
The students who wish to get monetary assistance through the National Merit Scholarship or NMMS will have to apply online. The registrations will only be allowed till 15 January 2022. The application form is available on the website of the National Scholarship Portal. This portal is specifically curated to register such candidates who wish to register for any of Central, State, UGC or AICTE Scholarships. Those who already have an account on the portal will have to simply access it by signing in and only previously registered candidates must login directly. To apply online for the Scholarship Scheme, follow the simple steps that are subsequently mentioned:
- Visit the official page of National Scholarship Portal at scholarships.gov.in.
- On the home page, tap on New Registration.
- The Academic Year 2021-22 Guidelines for Registration on National Scholarship Portal will open up as a consequence.
- Read all the instructions carefully and finally, agree to all the Undertaking By Applicant or Parents/Guardian(In Case of Minor).
- Nextly, click on Continue. The registration form will automatically open up.
- Enter all the required details in the registration form and verify the entered m obile number using a One Tome Password or OTP.
- Finally, tap Register after filling in all the details.
- Select the Login To Apply on the same page.
- Enter the Application ID, Passowrd and the Captcha Code given on the screen and press Login.
- The Application form will open up that is commonly referred for appliocations of all the scholarship on the National Scholarship Portal.
- Enter all the deatils that are marked and are compulsory to enter.
- Nextly, upload the documents in the required formats and sizes.
- Enter the Bank Account Details only in order to receive the scholarship stipends through Direct Bank Transfer or DBT Mode.
- Review the form at least once before final submission.
- Finally, press Submit.
Selection Procedure of National Merit Cum Means Scholarship
The candidates who will successfully register for the National Merit Scholarship will have to appear for the selective competitive examinations. The exam will be held in two levels. These levels will be Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (CAT). Both tests will be of the Objective Format. The students who will pass the exams will be listed in the merit list on the basis of their respective scores. The higher positioned candidates will be eventually selected for the scholarship depending upon the number of scholarships that have to be awarded and the reservation criteria.