The Department of School Education and Literacy under the Government of India is accepting online applications for its National Merit/ Means Scholarship. Financially underprivileged students can apply for this scheme. It promises to provide monetary assistance to support the educational dreams of such students.
Interested applicants will be awarded based on their academic merit in the Competitive Examination. Those who wish to apply must know all the details, such as Application Procedure, Eligibility, Scholarship Amount and much more. All these details are mentioned in the text given below.
National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2023
The National Merit Scholarship or National Merrit/ Means Scholarship or NMMS is a scheme where the Government Department of School Education and Literacy grants monthly stipends to candidates to fulfil their educational expenditures. This program is for students of all categories, but only if they satisfy their financial demands.
The students will be selected based on the merit finalised after the Mental Ability Test MAT and Scholastic Aptitude Test or SAT. The candidates must apply for the scheme online through the official website of the National Scholarship Portal or NSP. Only registered and eligible candidates can appear for the competitive examinations.
National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2023: Overview
|Name of the Scheme
|National Merit Scholarship Scheme 2023
|National Means/ Merit Scholarship
|Department of School Education and Literacy
|Government of India
|Rs. 12,000 per annum
|Number of Slots
|Amount Disbursement Mode
|Direct Bank Transfer or DBT
|Monthly. Hence, Rs. 1,000 every month
|To support the high school education of Financially weak meritorious students
|Students of Class VII or VIII will be awarded when they study in high school classes.
|Merit in Examination
|MAT and SAT
Scholarship Amount and Slots of National Merit Scholarship
The amount that the Department of School Education and Literacy will award the students who qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Scheme has been fixed as Rs. 12,000 annually. This sum will be granted to them every month. Hence, the students will receive Rs. 1,000 monthly for four years to complete their education without financial obstacles.
There will be 1,00,000 scholarship slots that will be awarded. However, this is the total number of PAN India. The slots have been allocated to the different states and Union Territories or UTs across various reserved and unreserved categories. The regional distribution depends upon the population ratio, while the categorial allotment depends on the government’s norms.
Eligibility Criteria for National Merit/ Means Scholarship
Only the candidates who will be eligible for the scholarship can apply for it. The eligibility conditions must be observed carefully since this scheme is specifically for students who are meritorious and economically weak students. The following are the criteria that the Department of School Education and Literacy has laid down:
- The student must be a resident of India.
- The applicant should study in a Government school in Class VII or VIII.
- He/She should have scored a minimum of 55% marks in the previously qualified examination. However, 5% marks will be reduced to those belonging to Scheduled Castes or Tribes.
- The total annual income of the parents combined from all sources should not exceed Rs. 1,50,000 from all sources.
Documents for National Merit Scholarship
The following documents need to be uploaded while filling out the application form through the National Scholarship Portal for the NMMS 2023:
- Passport-sized photograph of the Applicant
- Digitally Scanned Signature of the Candidate
- The Aadhaar Card of the Applicant to serve as Identity proof
- To prove the annual income of the family, an Income Certificate or any Government recognised Income proof
- Domicile Certificate of the particular region where the applicant is residing
- Marksheet and Result Certificates of Classes VII and VIII
- Ration Card of the family with the Candidate’s name on it
- Caste Certificate, only in case of reserved categories
- Certificate of Disability, only if applicable
- Photo of the passbook’s first page or a Cancelled cheque from the Candidate’s bank account
How to apply online for the NMMS Scholarship?
The students who wish to get monetary assistance through the National Merit Scholarship or NMMS must apply online. The application form is available on the website of the National Scholarship Portal. This portal is specifically curated to register candidates who wish to register for any Central, State, UGC or AICTE Scholarships. Those with an account on the portal must access it by signing in, and only previously registered candidates must log in directly. To apply online for the Scholarship Scheme, follow the simple steps that are subsequently mentioned:
- Visit the official page of the National Scholarship Portal at scholarships.gov.in.
- On the home page, tap on New Registration.
- The Academic Year 2023-24 Guidelines for Registration on the National Scholarship Portal will open up as a consequence.
- Read all the instructions carefully and finally, agree to all the Undertaking By Applicant or Parents/Guardian(In Case of Minor).
- Next, click on Continue. The registration form will automatically open up.
- Enter all the required details in the registration form and verify the entered mobile number using a Time Password or OTP.
- Finally, tap Register after filling in all the details.
- Select the Login To Apply on the same page.
- Enter the Application ID, Password and the Captcha Code given on the screen and press Login.
- The Application form commonly referred to for applications of all the scholarships on the National Scholarship Portal will open.
- Enter all the details that are marked and are compulsory to enter.
- Next, upload the documents in the required formats and sizes.
- Enter the Bank Account Details only to receive the scholarship stipends through Direct Bank Transfer or DBT Mode.
- Review the form at least once before final submission.
- Finally, press Submit.
Selection Procedure of National Merit/ Means Scholarship
The candidates who successfully register for the National Merit Scholarship must appear for the selective competitive examinations. The exam will be held on two levels. These levels will be Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (CAT). Both tests will be of the Objective Format. The students who pass the exams will be listed on the merit list based on their scores. The higher-positioned candidates will be eventually selected for the scholarship depending upon the number of scholarships that have to be awarded and the reservation criteria.
Important Links and Contacts for National Merit Scholarship
|Official Portal Link
|For Related Updates, Follow
|NSP Mail Support