Pudhumai Penn Scheme: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin, in the presence of Arvind Kejriwal, launched the Moovalur Ramamirtham Ammaiyar Higher Education Assurance scheme, also known as Pudhumai Penn Scheme, on 5 September 2022. The scheme aims to financially help female students enrolled in government institutions and encourage girls to pursue higher education.
The scheme not only acts as a tool to empower women but also helps to fight the social norms prevailing in a society like child marriage. Through the scheme, families coming from economically weaker sections of society who can not afford the higher education of their girl child will be greatly benefited.
Overview of Tamil Nadu Pudhumai Penn Scheme
|Scheme Name||Pudhumai Penn Scheme|
|Launched By||Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu M.K. Stalin|
|Date of Launch||5 September 2022|
|Beneficiaries||Girl students studying from class VI to XII in Government school.|
|Objective||To provide financial help to female students to enhance the ratio of enrollment in Higher Education Institutions.|
|Benefits||₹1000 will be deposited in the bank account of the girl student.|
Pudhumai Penn Scheme
The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu state, M.K. Stalin, launched Pudhumai Penn on 5 September 2022 in Chennai, where Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal was also present. The scheme promises to provide financial help to girls studying from class VI to XII to enhance the enrollment ratio from Government schools to Higher Education Institutions.
Through this scheme, financial aid of ₹1000 per month will be provided to the girls till they complete their Undergraduate/Diploma/ITI Or any other recognised course. The amount under this scheme will be directly deposited into the student’s bank account. The scheme not only acts as a financial help to girls but also focuses on modernization.
As the name suggests, Pudhumai Penn means modern women. The scheme will be a blessing for the girls who come from economically weaker sections of society and can not afford higher education due to financial curb.
Tamil Nadu Pudhumai Penn Scheme Objectives
Pudhumai Penn Scheme aims to provide quality higher education to girls belonging to the economically weaker section of society. Due to financial restraints, most girls must leave their education after school. This scheme aims to educate female residents of the state. Through the scheme, the girl child will receive ₹ 1000 per month till she completes her Undergraduate/Diploma/ITI Or any other recognised course to support her higher education. It is estimated that around six lakh students will be benefited.
- The scheme provides financial aid of ₹ 1000 to girls studying from class VI to XII to pursue higher education like graduation, diploma, ITI or other courses.
- The amount of ₹1000 will be sent directly to the girl student’s bank account.
- The scheme motivates female students to continue their higher education, discouraging evil norms like child marriage from prevailing in society.
- The debit card was given to around 613 students during the initial phase of the scheme.
- Through the scheme, it is estimated that around 6 lakh females per year will benefit from the spending of 698 crores.
- Under the Pudhumai Penn Scheme’s initial phase, approximately 6500 students of Tiruchi district who are enrolled in engineering, science, and art institutions will benefit.
The following are the basic eligibility criteria for the scheme:
- Applicant must be a citizen of India residing in Tamil Nadu.
- Applicant must be a class VI to XII student studying in a government school.
- The applicant must be a female student. The scheme focuses on giving financial aid to female students.
The documents required for the scheme are given below:
- The Aadhar card or Voter ID card of the applicant.
- Residence Certificate
- Contact Number of parents or guardians.
How to Apply for Pudhumai Penn Scheme?
- To apply for the Pudhumai Penn Scheme, the applicant has to visit the official website.
- The homepage of the website will be displayed on the screen.
- Click on the ‘Institute/ Colleges tab.
- Enter the username and the password of the institute or college with the help of the principal, and then click on the ‘Login’ button.
- Fill in the application details asked and upload the necessary documents required.
- Click on the Submit button.