The main reason the entrepreneurship rate is not increasing in our country is the lack of education and unemployment. To tackle this situation, the Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Government of India, implemented the ‘National Livestock Mission (NLM)’ in 2014-2015. After observing the demand in the sector, the department decided to revise the scheme in 2021-22. Through this mission, entrepreneurship and the employment rate in India will also increase. Our article will cover the important aspects of NLM, such as objectives, features, implementation and many more.
National Livestock Mission (NLM)
As mentioned above, the mission will not only increase the employment and entrepreneurship rate but also help animal productivity, resulting in the productivity of meat, eggs, wool and goat milk. The NLM will also promote skill-based training and the dissemination of technologies. It will also give confidence to the small entrepreneurs to improve their quality and expand their small-scale businesses. You can get the details about the National Livestock Mission (NLM) from their main portal nlm.udyamimitra.in or by continuing to review the article.
National Livestock Mission: An Overview
|Mission Name||National Livestock Mission (NLM)|
|Department||Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying|
|Launched By||Government of India|
|Status of Scheme||Active|
|Application Form Mode||Online|
National Livestock Mission Objectives
The NLM aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To increase the employment percentage by giving jobs to the capable applicant in different small-scale enterprises.
- Manage the ratio of the individual animal productivity through breed improvement that will result in the high production of meat, egg, goat mill, etc.
- To expand the accessibility of fodder and feed to reduce the demand by building up the fodder seed supply chain and certified fodder seeds.
- By constructing the fodder processing units to maintain the demand & supply gap.
- To teach the farmers or entrepreneurs about how to manage the risk in their sector.
- Giving priority to poultry, sheep, goats, feed and fodder.
- Encouraging the entrepreneurs to update their machinery and processing units so that they can compete in the market.
Salient Features of the National Livestock Mission (NLM)
Some of the salient features of the National Livestock Mission (NLM) are given below:
- The level of the country’s entrepreneurship rate will get increased by inviting individuals, Self-Help Groups (SHGs) /Farmer Producer Organization (FPO)/Farmer Cooperative Organization (FCO)/Joint Liability Group (JLGs) and various companies.
- The eligible beneficiary can build a Parent Farm, Rural Hatchery & Brooder cum mother unit for production of hatching eggs, and chicks up to 04 weeks in the mother unit.
- The Central Government will give 50% back-ended capital subsidy up to ₹25,00,000 per project in regard to project cost for establishment of Parent Farm, Rural hatchery and Mother Unit with min. 1,000 parent layers.
- The bird maintained in the parent farm will be sustained in the free-range management system.
- Central Poultry Development Organizations (CPDO), Central Avian Research Institutions (CARI), Directorate of Poultry Research (DPR) and other private organizations with certificates of guaranteed production will be eligible to supply birds to the entrepreneurs.
The National Livestock Mission (NLM) has been categorised into sub-missions whose details have been shared with you in the following pointers: –
Sub-Mission on Breed Development of Livestock & Poultry:
This mission will propose to bring a sharp focus on entrepreneurship development and breed improvements in poultry, sheep, goat etc by providing incentives to the entrepreneurs.
Sub-Mission on Feed & Fodder Development:
It aims to strengthen the availability of fodder chain seed and motivate the entrepreneurs to establish the fodder block/Havey bailing.
Sub-Mission on Innovation and Extension:
The mission aims to incentivize Institutions, Universities, and Organizations to carry out research and development related to sheep, goats, cows and chickens.
Subsidy Pattern of National Livestock Mission
As per the official operational guidelines, a 50% capital subsidy of upto ₹50,00,000 will be provided for constructing the rural poultry farms that will involve the hatchery and brooder cum mother unit, sheep or goat breeding farm, pig breeding farm and many more. Subsidy amount/cap for various projects are:
- Poultry Project: ₹25,00,000
- Sheep and Goat: ₹50,00,000
- Pig: ₹30,00,000
- Fodder: ₹50,00,000
The subsidy amount will be given into two equal instalments i.e. first instalment of 50% subsidy will be provided to the lending bank by SIDBI where the beneficiary has an account. The subsidy will be released only when the beneficiary has made an expenditure of 25% cost for the project towards infrastructure and is completely verified by the State Implementing Agency and the remaining amount of 50% subsidy will be provided by SIDBI after completion of the project and verified by State Implementing Agency.
National Livestock Mision: Implementing Agency
- This mission will be implemented through the State Implementing Agency established under the State Animal Husbandry Department.
- The State Animal Husbandry Department will build multiple State Implementing Agencies or give the responsibility to the already established SIA agency for the implementation of the National Livestock Mission.
- The State Government will notify the State Implementing Agency to the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHAD).
- The central share will be channelized through the State Implementing Agency.
State Implementing Agency Functions
The various functions which the State Implementing Agency have to follow so that the mission can run smoothly are:
- The State Implementing Agencies of the concerned State Government should the eligible entrepreneurs/entities through the expression of interest.
- The applications submitted by the entrepreneurs/ eligible entities will be verified and the State Implementing Agency will recommend the application of the entrepreneurs to provide them with the finance for the project through scheduled banks or financial institutions.
- Once the project funding for entrepreneurship components through financing for the loan portion is done then it will be presented before the State Level Executive Committee (SLEC) for approval.
- After the approval from the SLEC, the projects will be sent to the Central Government through an online portal developed for uploading applications under NLM.
- The implementing agency have to send the proposals under the NLM other than the entrepreneurship project for seeking Central Share via an online portal.
- The SIA will be responsible for monitoring the projects of the entrepreneurs and intimate the Department on their progress on half yearly basis.
Monitoring of the Scheme
- The NLM will be monitored via the MIS system for maintaining data and online monitoring.
- With the help of GI taking the assets involved in the scheme will be monitored.
- The National Review Meeting, Regional Review Meeting & State Review Meeting will be organized to review the finances invested in the scheme.
- Further, every state will need to submit the physical and financial progress report of the schemes in a prescribed format.
- For better monitoring of the scheme at the grass root level, the State shall ensure the implementation of a monitoring system involving the Panchyati Raj institutions like the members of Gram Panchyet at the village level and Panchayat Samiti at the Block level and the District Pachayet at the district level.
Project Approval of Entrepreneurship programmes
- The Entrepreneurs/ Eligible Entities have to submit the application through the NLM Portal to the SIA in response to the expression of interest issued by the State Implementing Agency.
- The applications submitted by the Entrepreneurs/ Eligible Entities will be scrutinised by the State Implementing Agency and will be recommended for the loan by the scheduled Bank or financial institutions like NCDC etc.
- After the recommendation of the project, the same will be considered by the bank or financial institutions for financing.
- After obtaining approval from the bank, the loan will be forwarded to the State Implementing Agency where the State Level Executive Committee (SLEC) will cross-check the application and send it to Central Government.
- Once SLEC approves the application, SIA will mark the application to the Central Government through the portal to DAHD along with uploaded sanction for the loan.
- The DAHD shall approve the project through the Project Approval Committee and fund the subsidy amount for the approved projects through SIDBI to the lending bank or financial institutions as the case may be to release the subsidy to the beneficiaries.
Project approval submitted by Central Agency/University Farms
- The concerned Central Agencies/University farms will submit the proposal to the NLM division through their parent organization/Department.
- The parent organization/Department should approve and recommend the project before forwarding it to the NLM Division seeking assistance.
- On receipt of such applications, Project Approval Committee (PAC) established under the Chairmanship of the Joint Secretary, NLM will approve the project depending on the feasibility and viability of the project.
- The concerned Central Agencies/ University farms need to inform the physical and financial progress of the schemes to NLM division in every quarter.
Funding and Flow of National Livestock Mission (NLM)
The funding and flow of the National Livestock Mission (NLM) is explained below:
- The NLM scheme will consist Centrally and Central sector components.
- The department will provide funding to the State Implementing Agency towards administrative cost for inviting proposals from the beneficiaries, awareness creation and handholding of beneficiaries to facilitate them to get bank loan etc.
- The subsidy amount will be channelized through the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
- DAHAD, Ministry of Fishery will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with SIDBI regarding the subsidy management, transfer of subsidy to the lending banks.
- DAHAD have to provide the administrative cost to SIDBI for working as fund channelizing agency.
- The SIDBI will take the complete responsibility regarding the submission and utilization of funds transferred to them.
- The Department will decide the modalities for fund channelizing work with SIDBI.
- The State Government have to transfer the fund to the State Nodal Agency /SIA account within 21 days and the State Share to be released within 40 days.
Ranking of States by performances
The states will be ranked on the performance in implementing the programmes under the National Livestock Mission and the parameters for the performance will be as under:
- Several units were established under the entrepreneurship programme.
- A total number of jobs created through such entrepreneurship development
- Quantity of fodder seed produced and improvement of fodder production
- Number of farmers benefitted.
- Number of Livestock Insured under the insurance programme.
- Number of innovative projects promoted and implemented.
- Creation of awareness amongst the farmers and youth for the scheme.
- Timely utilization of funds released by the Department as Central Share.
- Project implementation time
- Timely release of State share.
- Increase in production of egg, meat and wool in the state.
- Increase in availability of good germplasm through the entrepreneurship programme
NLM Responsibility on Various Events
Extraordinary events or circumstances beyond human control such as events described as a natural calamity or events such as a war, strike, public health emergency etc. In such a case, the Department will examine the fate of the subsidy or incentivized amount provided to the beneficiaries or institutions as per the provision of law.
Eligibility criteria to apply for the National Livestock Mission
To receive the benefit under the entrepreneurship programme of the National Livestock Mission (NLM) the entrepreneurs are supposed to fulfil the following criteria:
● Entrepreneurs have obtained training/hired trained technical experts/to have sufficient experience in the relevant field in managing and running the project.
● They’ve gotten their loan sanctioned for the project by the bank furnished bank guarantee from the scheduled bank along with an appraisal of the project for its validity by the bank where it is holding the account.
● They own or lease the land where the project will be established and also contain the relevant documents mentioned in the guidelines.
Mode of NLM Application Form
The application for entrepreneurship projects and also the Central Sector projects will be accepted through an online portal developed by the DAHAD through Small Industries Development Banks of India (SIDBI). Till the Online portal becomes fully functional the application for taking benefit under the scheme can also be submitted via Official medium by visiting the SIA nodal centre.
National Livestock Mission Application Workflow
- Online Application Form.
- Screening of Application Form by State Implementing Agency (SIA).
- Loan santion by Lender.
- Recommendetion from State Level Executive Committee.
- Approval of Subsidy by DARD.
- Disbursement and release of subsidy.
Documents needed for the NLM application form
The list of documents that the entrepreneur that is needed while submitting the NLM application form are:
- Government ID’s (Aadhaar Card, Driving License, PAN Card).
- Domicile, Education, Training & Category Certificate.
- Proof of holding for project area.
- Income proof & Income Tax Return for last 3 years
- Bank statement of last six months.
- Entrepreneur recent colored passport size photograph.
- Experience about any Livestock done earlier.
- GI Tagging of the Project site.
Procedure to apply for the National Livestock Mission
- Make an appearance on the NLM’s main website nlm.udyamimitra.in.
- Tap on ‘Apply Here’ box and the options of ‘Login As Entrepreneur and Login as Government or Other Agencies’ will be given.
- Select the option of ‘Login as Government/Other Agencies’ and then mark on the ‘Register’.
- The registration form will get open and after entering the details tap on ‘Register’ button and you’ll be provided with the login id & password.
- Now you’ll be reconnected to the NLM’s home page, enter the login credentials and choose the application form of your need.
- After selecting the application form enter all the particulars asked inside it and attach the documents mentioned above.
- Once the verification of application form is completed you’ll get a message of the submission of the NLM application form to the agency.
Steps to Login on the National Livestock Mission portal
- On the main page of the National Livestock Mission whose link is mentioned in the links table below.
- Tick on ‘Login as Entrepreneur or Login as Government/Other Agencies’ box as per your personal choice.
- The login page will get open.
- Note the pointers required on the page and tick on ‘Login’.
- On a new web page you’ll get the details about your NLM’s application form.
Method to check the list of suppliers for various inputs
- Start the process by going to the NLM’s main website nlm.udyamimitra.in.
- Under the box of ‘Schemes Instructions’ tick on ‘List of Suppliers for various inputs’.
- The indicative list will get open and tick on the list which want to see.
- After selecting the list the brief details about the list which you choose will get open.
National Livestock Mission: Links
|NLM’s Official Website||nlm.udyamimitra.in|
|Check Registration Page||Registration Form Page|
|Check Applicant Login page||Applicant Login Window Page|
|Login||Government/Other Agency Login Window Page|
|Operational Guidelines||Operational Guidelines|
|Application Form for Entrepreneurs||Application Form for Entrepreneurs|
|Bank Guarantee||Bank Guarantee|
|Integrity Compliance||Integrity Compliance|
|Surety Bond||Surety Bond|
|Undertaking from Applicant to Bank||Undertaking from Applicant to Bank|
|Stay Updated Through||NVSHQ Homepage|