BH Series Vehicle Registration State Wise: The Government of India recently introduced a new rule for road transportation and vehicles. After HSRP, it launched Bharat (BH) series number plates for vehicles that travel from one state to another. These registration marks or number plates will benefit vehicle owners who must move from one state to another due to their transfer or any other reason.
To avoid the various registration issues that vehicle owners face due to shifting and for seamless transfer of motor vehicles, they can register for the BH Bharat Series plate. BH Series Vehicle Registration 2021 has been started from 15th September 2021. The registration process will be digital.
As per the details, the 24 States and UTs have already begun the BH Series Vehicle Registration.
Update: MORTH has announced that the vehicle with regular registration can also be converted to the BH series. Earlier, this facility was available for new vehicles only.
- NIC dept has launched software for BH series registration, whose testing is currently under process in states like Uttarakhand and others.
- BH series registration begins for vehicles in Chandigarh
BH Series Vehicle Registration Online
Earlier, according to the Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a vehicle registered in a state, when kept in another state for a period of more than 12 months, is subject to the assignment of new registration. For new registration in the new state, the motor vehicle owner must apply with documents such as an NOC, receipt, postal acknowledgement, and various other documents. The entire registration process was complicated and time-consuming.
Now, with the introduction of the BH series number plate, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has made the re-registration of a vehicle in a new state easy and hassle-free. The new rule was introduced on 28th August, and plate registration will commence on September 15. If you are also willing to get a BH series number plate but do not have sufficient information, do read this article. Here, you will be getting every piece of information about the newly amended rule and number plate.
BH Series Vehicle Registration State Wise: Highlights
|Name of the Mark||Bharat Series Marks (BH-Series)|
|Concerned Ministry||Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH)|
|Concerned Act||The Motor Vehicles Act|
|Rule||Central Motor Vehicles (Twentieth Amendment) Rules|
|Date of introduction/ Launch||28th August 2021|
|Introduced For||Non-Transport vehicles|
|Purpose||To ease the registration process for a vehicle moving to a new state|
|Starting of the registration process||15th August 2021|
|Mode of registration||Online|
Format of BH Series Number Plate
Those applying for the BH Series plate will receive a new number plate. The format of this Bharat series number plate will be as follows-
YY BH #### XX
- Where YY will be the last two digits of the year of the registration of the motor vehicle.
- BB will be the
- Bharat Series code (2) letters will be written as “ BH”
- and #### XX will be four numbers from 0001 to 9999, followed by a letter(s) A, B, C ……& then AA, AB…..AZ, BA, BB…..till ZZ. Letters ‟I‟ & “O” will be excluded.
Who can Register for BH Series Plate?
This facility of the government has been introduced currently for non-transport vehicles. The facility of registration for BH Bharat Series Number plates is currently available on a voluntary basis for
– Defence personnel,
– Motor vehicle owners who are State/ Central Government employees,
– PSU employees, or
– employees working in a private sector company that has offices in four or more states and UTs.
At present, it is not compulsory for all, eligible individuals can apply at their convenience and requirements. The government could make this facility available to all citizens in the future.
BH Vehicle Registration Process
The registration process for the BH series plate will be completely an online process. Registration is going to start on 15th September 2021. Those who are interested in registration can apply online for the number plate.
The details regarding registration for the BH mark are as follows:-
- BH registration will be an online process done by the respective dealer during the purchase of a new vehicle on behalf of the vehicle owner.
- Registration can be done on the Vahan portal by filling out Form 20.
- With the new BH series number plate, refunding the tax that the vehicle owner has paid in the parent state will become easy.
- On successful registration, applicants will be issued a BH series number plate.
- Vehicles having the new BH series number plate/ registration mark on their vehicles will not be required to undergo the old complicated re-registration process in the new state.
- The number plates will be assigned randomly to the applicants.
- For registration, one must keep their official identity card (govt employees), working certificate (private employees) and other requisite documents at registration.
- This new amendment in the motor vehicle rule related to the movement of a vehicle in the new state/UT and its registration is universal and will be applicable across the country.
The registration process will be free for applicants, and thus, they are not required to pay any registration fee. However, they have to pay the requisite tax levied for the respective category. Any update regarding the registration fee shall be updated here. Another facility the vehicle owners in India should be aware of is the Fastag.
Rules for Motor Vehicle Tax
The tax levied at the time of registration varies from state to state. The tax levied will be calculated through an online process through the online portal and will be based on the invoice prices (where GST will be excluded).
Have a look at the details given below regarding the tax levied by the States/ UTs during the registration of BH Series vehicles-
Tax (% of Invoice Price)
If below Rs 10 lakhs
2% extra charge for Diesel vehicles
2% less charge for electric vehicles
If below Rs 10-20 lakh
If above Rs 20 lakh
For Vehicles having a BH Registration mark, the tax will be levied through the online portal for two years or multiple, such as four years, six years, etc., in the manner shown as under-
Bharat Series Vehicle Registration- Quick Links
|Official website of MoRTH||morth.nic.in|
|BH Bharat Series Vehicle Registration Official Notification||Click Here|
|HSRP Number Plate||Click Here|
BH Series Registration Link State-Wise
|Odisha||Click here | Link 2|
|Jammu & Kashmir||-Do-|
Note: The dealer will do registration while purchasing a new vehicle.
If you have any doubts about BH Bharat Series Vehicle Registration, please let us know in the comment section below.
When did the BH Bharat Series Vehicle registration new rule launch?
It was launched on 28th August through a gazette notification dated 26th August 2021 by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).
Is this rule applicable in Bihar?
Yes, the rule is applicable throughout the country.