NIFT 2023 Preparation Tips: NIFT is a preeminent institution of fashion education in India. Every year, NIFT holds a national-level entrance test for admission to the Institute. It offers admission in the Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs. Aspirants can make online applications on the official website of NIFT. Before you apply, you need to understand the specifications with which the institution provides admission to the students. This article aims to provide you with the information about how to prepare for the NIFT 2023 examination, exclusive tips to prepare, book recommendations, essential elements of the examination, and much more.
NIFT 2023 Preparation Tips
|Exam day||February 2023|
|Answer Key out||NA|
|Objection submission till||NA|
|Interview/ GD/ Situation test date||NA|
How to Prepare for the NIFT 2023 Exam?
The NIFT Entrance test examination contains some peculiar tests for which only preparation will favour your probability of selection. The tests are:
- CAT (Creative Ability Test): This is the very first test to examine the intuitive ability and the observational power of the candidate in concept development, colour use and also the innovative illustration of the skills. It analyzes a candidate based on their creative and design skills. This test is both for UG and PG in design programmes. It is an offline test. Candidates need to be a lot innovative for this section as it is entirely focused on examining their creative side.
- GAT (General Ability Test): For GAT, the weightage of each section may vary with the course and so will the level of difficulty. The sub-tests under GAT are :
- Analytical and Logical Ability – To test the inference ability of the candidate and logic from the given set of information. It evaluates the candidate’s ability to identify and apply reasoning in solving any problem to the core and issues related to it. Learn and practice concepts of visionary and ingenious thinking.
- General knowledge and Current affairs – It tests the general knowledge and awareness of the candidate regarding the ongoing issues all around the world.
- Case study – The case study is based on the situation analysis and handling in any industrial environment. Your exclusive management abilities will work excessively in your favour.
- Situation Test – The candidates who clear the CAT and GAT are allowed to sit for the Situation Test. It is a hand-on-test about material handling. The test is a basic evaluates your creativity about how you look through and go on with a particular set of material, under a specific situation. (Candidates are not supposed to carry any material in this phase of the examination). Evaluation is done by on spot jury. Model evaluation will also be there for analyzing the innovative and creative use of material, the colour scheme, composition of elements, construction skills, fineness and the overall presentation. The test will examine aspects like uniqueness, creativity, space visualization, finishing, element composition, construction, etc.
- Group discussion (GD) for Master’s Programmes – It will be a 15- 20 minute discussion on the case study. A panel of experts will judge the candidates on the basis of points such as clarity about the concept, their individual contribution to it and how much they know about the topic which will be assigned to them. Your personal skills will also benefit you.
- Personal Interview (PI) – In the Personal Interview, the evaluation will be based upon the career orientation of the candidate, aptness for the course, personal achievement of the candidate and so on.
The detailed guideline is available on the official page of the institution.
NIFT 2023-Weightage Distribution
The weightage for each of the sections mentioned above differs accordingly for each course.
- B.Des – Test of Creative Ability possesses about 50% of the marks, whereas General Ability makes up to 30% of the overall marks and Situation test includes the rest 20%. Thus, CAT is an important section for the aspirants who wish to pursue Bachelor’s in Designing.
- B.FTech – Only GAT score is considered for UG admissions in Fashion Technology. Aspirants of this course, need to prepare only the GAT section. It is 100% of your exam.
- M.F.M. – Aspirants of postgraduate in Fashion Management need to focus more on the GAT section as it is 70% of the overall exam, while group discussion and interview will make up the rest 30%.
- M.Des – All test are included for PG in Designing. CAT, GAT, GD/ PI makes up 40%, 30% and 30% respectively.
- M.FTech – For Master’s in Fashion Technology, GAT and GD/ PI have a weightage of 70% and 30% respectively.
Football 2022 Standing Updates --> FIFA World Cup 2022 points table
Exclusive Tips to Get Prepared (NIFT 2023)
- Enhance your speed – Because there’s a limited time to showcase all your skills, you need to be fast enough to display all what you got to be a part of such a prestigious institution. Everyday practice will work wonders to get perfect sketches on the day of the examination.
- Find relevant study material – The study material should be specific to all the sections included in the examination. As, the tests are different for each course, plan your study section according to its weightage in the exam and specified to the course you want.
- Practice Sample papers – Model papers can be used to attain clarity regarding the exam pattern. Practicing questions will enhance your speed as well accuracy while giving you an overall idea about the how a question will be put up in the examination.
|NIFT B.Des Program GAT Sample Questions|
|B.Des Program CAT Sample Questions|
|BF Tech. Program GAT Sample Questions|
|M.Des Program GAT Sample Questions|
|M.Des Program CAT Sample Questions|
|MFM Program GAT Sample Questions|
|MF Tech. Program GAT Sample Questions|
- Be more creative – Try and be more creative because creativity does matters in the NIFT exam. Try sketching a lot. Working over a wide range of subjects, situations and topics will help you to expand your imagination and will be helpful in the exam. Also, you need to be confident while drawing your imagination on paper. Work on your observational and visualization skills.
- Essentials – Do not forget to carry your drawing pencils and other art supplies you will need to attempt the drawing part of the question paper in the exam.
- Habits to include – For general knowledge and current affairs include the habit of reading newspaper. If required, make notes of the pertinent information. This will benefit you with the revision before the exam. Also, read Fashion/ Design related magazines, Blogs, Books to enhance you knowledge regarding the fashion and design industry.
- Marking Scheme – All the objective type of tests have a negative marking scheme, with 0.25 mark deduction for each wrong answer. Thus, mark only those answers which you’re very sure about .
- Be concentrated– Concentration plays an important role while working on your creative and observational skills. Including practices like meditation in your routine will help.
- Review you work – Try reviewing your work to get the best out of the skills which needs more polishing.
- Think out of the box.
- Practice for group discussion – You can practice this with your family or some friend who will help you excel in it. Try being clear and vocal about your thoughts. Practicing in the mirror can work wonders in presenting yourself in a serene and sanguine style.
Book Recommendations for NIFT Exam 2023:
- Bright Career Guide NIFT entrance exam – Marketed by Arihant
- NIFT Entrance exam Bachelor Programmes – Dr. D. Mittal
- McGraw Hill Education – Verma
- NIFT/ NID Previous year papers (Solved) – R. Gupta
- Concepts of pattern grading – Dr. R.P. Datason
- For extra e-books, journals, magazines, periodicals on diversified topics, resources are available at University’s website – https://nift.ac.in/nrc/